Adds

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Cider braised pork steaks with apples, onion and garlic

Loving pork as I do, I thought I would share this recipe that I stole from a friend and tweaked when I lived in Pittsburgh. This friend of mine made a similar dish but was breaded like schnitzel and fried and served with the apple and onion mixture. I had these pork steaks and thought I would brown them and braise the steaks in my dutch oven instead and it worked fantastically. I lived in Pittsburgh for several years and grew to really like the town (don't miss the winters though) because of its ethnicity and the great food found in the city. This recipe is easy and delicious and a great dinner on a fall night. Since fall is right around the corner, thought I would post it early for your enjoyment.  

Ingredients

4 large shoulder chops
salt and pepper
3 tablespoon canola oil
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped into a large dice.
2 cloves of garlic minced
2 large granny smith apples
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 cups apple cider
1 tbsp cider vinegar 
3 sage leaves
Cooked egg noodles
Sweet pickles
 
Method
 
Preheat oven to 325 degrees
Cut the chops in half leaving bone on.

Heat the oil and brown the pork on both sides and transfer to Dutch oven
Brown the onions and place on top of pork.
Peel, core and dice both apples and place on top of onions.
Stir mustard, vinegar and garlic into cider and pour over pork chops, apple and onion mixture.
Add sage leaves, cover with lid and put in oven and bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
When pork is tender remove from dutch oven and strain the cooking liquid and save apples and onions.
Add cooking liquid back to dutch oven and cook until reduced and is sauce consistency.
I boil egg noodles and once sauce is reduced I add the noodles to reduced sauce, folding in the cooked apples and onions.
Serve the egg noodles with the braised pork steaks.

No comments: