Adds

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Fried seafood? You'll need Tartar Sauce!

Growing up in the south on the coast and living in the Lowcountry is a blessing to me. Right now the fishing is amazing and the shrimp are running. What a great time of year to be on the coast. One of my favorite things to eat this time of year is a wonderful platter of fried seafood. Fried flounder, triggerfish, grouper, Spanish mackerel and of course fried shrimp and oysters.
When I was a kid I remember my mother frying up a mess of speckled trout that my dad and I had caught earlier that morning. She would dust the fish in seasoned cornmeal and fry it up in her big black cast iron skillet. The smells coming out of her kitchen were tantalizing and we could hardly wait for her to finish.
  Supper time at my house was always special, especially when there was fresh seafood involved.
When the fish, shrimp, oysters and hushpuppies hit the table it was heaven and always served with our fried seafood was this wonderful bowl of tartar sauce. A little sweet, a little sour with chopped up capers, hard cooked egg, pickles, and just the right amount of lemon juice. Such a delicious accompaniment to that big platter of goodness.
Here is my recipe for the tartar sauce that I use in my restaurant. So go get some fresh seafood and have a fish fry. Invite your family and friends and enjoy the fruits of the sea, with a big cold bowl of tartar sauce! Enjoy.........

Ingredients


½ cup of mayonnaise
1 hard-boiled egg
2 tbsp chopped onion
1 chopped dill pickle
1 tbsp of capers
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1 tbsp of lemon juice
1 tsp of chives
salt and pepper

Method

Cut the hard-boiled egg, dill pickle and onion into small pieces.
Chop the chives into small pieces.
Place all of the ingredients into a blender or food processor and mix until the ingredients have combined together.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least an hour before using.

No comments: