Adds

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Sweet, sweet corn



I saw the ads for my local farm market in Hilliard, Ohio and was very excited. For you see I love farm markets. I love talking to the farmers, photographing their hard work, and most of all eating their produce. There are several items that always catch my eye and trigger my senses like Pavlov's dogs. Tomatoes, full ripe and red, peaches full and ripe and sweet corn picked only hours before. As I walk up on our market I eye the usual tents, fresh baked goods, cider pressed from the local orchards, local honey and home made soaps, my eyes are scanning and searching for the years first ears (sorry bad pun). And then there it is basket upon basket of deep green cloaked sweetness..$.50/ear or 13 for $5, but the cost is not important, because I want it, I have to have it. I pick up my bag and start to go to work finding the best of the best and a conversation strikes up about the actual preparation. Boiled, grilled, pan fried, eating it raw and microwaved...what microwaved...what was this blasphemy coming out of the farmer's daughter's mouth, we all looked at each other trying to recover from what she just said..."microwaved". Peel it and microwave one ear for one minute in a standard microwave, I am a chef for Christ's sake and we only use microwaves to reheat food. I could not believe what I was hearing, with much skeptism, I took my purchases home and selected an ear of corn, peeled away the husk, removed the silk, gave it a rinse and place it in the microwave for one minute. After thirty seconds I could smell it now, alchemy as the nukrawave did it's job, I started counting down 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 beep. I removed the lone ear smeared it with softened real butter, sprinkled kosher salt and cracked black pepper over it's body. Now was the true test, I took a bite and could not believe that this was the absolute best corn I had ever tasted. This method left the corn tender and crisp, hot throughout and perfect. I am now a covert to this method. In large groups I will still get out my large stock pot and fill with lightly salted water and cook at a boil for 4 minutes like I have done for years, but when I am alone with just that sweet ear of corn I will microwave it. How do you do your corn? Let me know and until next time......

2 comments:

Allie said...

Hmmmmmm, I will have to come to Hilliard then, for my farmers market in Reynoldsburg does not open until the 8th of July. But on that note, Aiden and I are getting ready to go out into the garden as I type this. Going to go plant!

Unknown said...

I like mine grilled, slathered with a lime and cumin butter! Mmmmm!